Donor's Choose Tips

Tuesday, January 19, 2016
I will admit it:  I'm obsessed with Donor's Choose!

I published my first project on September 5, 2011 during my first year of teaching.  It was funded on February 2, 2012 by complete strangers.  I still remember getting the e-mail in the middle of the day at school, the e-mail that said my project was funded.  With a smile on my face, I told my students about the project.  They didn't understand.  They did not understand how and why strangers would donate money to help them!  Overjoyed and speechless, my students learned a valuable lesson of gratitude this day.  Since that project, I have had 33 projects funded.  

My projects have been for a variety of items, including books, a camera, literacy centers, science experiment kits, school supplies, flexible seating options, website subscriptions (Flocabulary - if you don't have it, you need it) and more.  I'm forever grateful for Donor's Choose for helping me find donors to support my creative and innovating project ideas for my classroom.



Over the years, many people have asked for tips on how to get their projects funded quickly.  I've decided to share some of my top tips for you.  Before I start, please remember one thing:  don't give up.  I've had 33 projects funded, but I've also had a handful of projects go un-funded. It happens.  Don't let an unfunded project stop you from tying again.

Tip #1: Make your projects less than $500
I'm not saying your project won't get funded if it's over $500; many large projects get funded.  In my experience, I have simply found that smaller projects get funded more quickly.  You need to remember Donor's Choose will add on some fees to the total cost of your items.  You can expect about $50-$60 extra added to your projects.  If you have a large project, try splitting into smaller projects.  For example, instead of posting a project for multiple iPads - post a project for 1 iPad.  Instead of posting a project for new books, book bins, and reading strategy games for your new literacy center - try turning this huge project into 3 smaller projects.  Donor's will be less intimated by a smaller project.  The smaller your project is, the faster it will get funded.



Tip #2: Be REAL.
When you post your project, be honest about your school's needs.  Explain your students and their struggles.  Tell your story.  Don't hesitate on getting a picture posted.  If you have permission to post students pictures on internet, I would recommend snapping a new picture of your students.  {Donor's Choose also provides a form for you to send home to parents to get permission for their child to be on the site.} Donor's want to know exactly why YOU deserve and need their money.  They want to know where their money is going and impact it is going to make.  This is not a time to be modest.

Tip #3: PROMOTE your project
Listen people.  Your project is not just going to fund itself.   I teach in a high poverty area, so sending letters home about my project never seemed practical.  Many teachers have found success with this though.   I read a story once where a teacher sent home letters about the Donor's Choose project, and one mom got her company to 100% fund the entire project.  Post on your various social media accounts and tell people what you are doing.  Just like tip #2, be honest and real people about your project.  Share with your friends.  Post on Facebook.  Tweet it out.  You would be surprised how many of your friends will donate.  The small amounts will add up.

Tip #4: Search Partner Funding Opportunities
There are many opportunities for you to get 50% of your project funded through various companies.  I like to check out the Partner Funding site often to see if there are any new opportunities in Florida.  You can check them out HERE.  These opportunities usually have very specific criteria for types of items you can offer.  They will also give you some ideas of projects you could post if you're looking for some new ideas.


Tip #5: Don't give up.
Sometimes projects take time to get funded, sometimes they get funded overnight. Do not get frustrated.  Last week Donor's Choose surprised the entire community by hosting an event called #BestSchoolDay. They partnered with celebrities and large companies to fund projects all over the county.  Celebrities adopted various cities, states, or districts and 100% funded their projects.  This was completely unexpected.  You never know when a donor will come across your project and want to help out, so it's important you have your projects posted with good descriptions for them to read when they find you.


Tip #6:  Be genuine when you say thank-you
After a project is funded, Donor's Choose will require you to do some sort of thank-you package.  Before your materials are ordered, you will be required to verify your project online and write a short thank-you message to your donors.  Do not take this lightly.  Real people, you likely do not know, donated their hard earned money to YOU.   It is essential you take the time to thank them properly.  After your materials arrive, you will have a deadline for posting pictures and writing an impact letter online.  Donors who give over a certain amount have the option of requesting hand-written letters. Once again, take this seriously.  I have a couple donors who I have never met that continuously donate to my projects.  Once someone is donated to you, they will frequently get e-mails about your new projects.   You need (and should want) to make a good impression to prompt them to continue supporting you.


I hope you found this post useful and have some new ideas for getting your project funded quickly.  Please comment below if you use Donor's Choose and what types of items you have received funding for.  I love hearing other project ideas! 



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top